|Preface: If you are not from a Node.js back-end API / domain – Or use another programming language other than described – Or utilize Azure instead of AWS:|
Please render your application / resume as this position is about LEADERSHIP skills!
If working in an exciting startup-like environment while enjoying the stability, benefits, and resources of a billion dollar company sounds appealing to you, read on!
With a record-shattering 33% growth in 2015-16, our client, Realtor.com is set to be the leading real estate destination on the continent – and that’s only the beginning. We build products that connect aspiring homebuyers and sellers with real estate agents and brokers who can guide them through the biggest financial decisions of their lives.
They have an exciting opportunity for a Senior Engineering Manager to join our software development team working on listings and property data platform out of our Richmond office in Vancouver, Canada. In this role, your responsibilities will touch on all stages of the software engineering lifecycle: Understanding customer requirements, designing the application, reviewing code, and monitoring the system for issues. There will also be an opportunity to exercise your highly developed collaboration abilities interacting with other technology teams on broader initiatives.
What You Will Do
- Directly supervise 8 to 10 highly talented engineers
- Collaborate with Product Management and Program Management regarding product definition, schedule, scope, and project-related decisions
- Design, develop, deliver, and maintain features and applications that will excite and please a user base of millions of users
- Develop solutions that are high quality, scalable, reliable, and reusable
- Work collaboratively in an Agile/Scrum team to plan sprints, expand the stories into tasks, work on removing impediments, and execute at top velocity
- Investigate technologies that can be leveraged to introduce new innovations in meeting business and customer goals
- Provide input into process improvement initiatives to improve quality and timeliness of deliverables with high predictability
What Do You Bring?
- Bachelors or Masters degree in Computer Science/Engineering or related field
- 10+ years of hands on professional software development experience architecting, building, deploying, and maintaining data centric applications at scale
- 3+ years’ experience of supervising of 3 or more software engineers in a demanding engineering environment
- Technical lead experience leading a product team and setting day-to-day technical direction. Successful track record of delivering on projects, both individually and as a leader
- Strong back-end services / API development experience, preferably using REST/JSON in AWS or any other public cloud.
- Strong experience with large-scale data integration and data management technologies.
- AWS stack experience is a big plus.
- Experience with performance tuning and optimization for high traffic back-end applications (Preferred)
- Experience with unit test frameworks, and test automation tools is a definite asset
What Kind of Engineer are You?
- You are passionate about creating world-class experiences for our customers and will work hard to achieve this
- Strong problem solving skills and ability to clearly communicate technical concepts in simple terms
- Passion for learning, continuous improvement, sharing and working in a team environment
- You take pride in writing clean, quality code, but can balance this with business practicality
- You hold a point of view and aren’t afraid of challenging assumptions, but are humble enough to recognize when you are mistaken
- You are able to learn quickly and effectively apply new knowledge, demonstrating the desire to stay in touch with emerging technologies
- Passion about real estate or experience with buying/selling a home is a big plus – we love real estate and it would be great if you did too!
Please email your CV / Resume directly to Mark Strong and I shall carry the ball for you across the finish line. You will know that you are working with and represented by the best!